Do you have a well-mannered dog that is a pleasure to take places?
Delta Institute offers a unique award that is available for all the well-mannered canine citizens in the community. The certification is open to anyone who can manage their pet adequately and whose dogs do not show concerning behaviours in public. (For help with a behaviour problem, click here.)
The Canine Good Citizen™ Award is a recognition of the bond and teamwork between you and you canine friend. It is your reward for all the training you put into your dog to get to a stage where you confidently manage your canine friend in a variety of situations – all achieved using poitive reinfocement.
- dogs must be at least 12 months of age – there is no upper limit
- only safe and humane dog training equipment is allowed (no choke chains, prong collars, halties or retractable leads)
- only a Delta Institute Accredited CGC™ Award trainer (who is a current member of Delta Insitute) can assess your dog during training lessons
- you and your dog must complete a “Delta Foundation Skills” program or undertake private lessons with a qualified CGC™ trainer
- only force-free methods are used for training
- dogs must be microchipped, registered and up-to date with vaccinations and worming
For more information on the assessment criteria, please visit Delta Institute’s website here.
What you’ll get
Successful candidates will receive a Certificate from the Delta Institute and a Canine Good Citizen™ collar tag.
The long-term aim of Delta Institute is “to influence where people are able to go with their dogs such as travelling on public transport, accommodation etc.”
(Please note, at this stage, CGC™ certified dogs have the same rights as other companion dogs.)
How to GET STARTED?
If you have previously attended a group training course using positive reinforcement, send us a copy of the certificate received along with the vaccination and council registration paperwork. We will then arrange a suitable time to assess you and your dog’s skills in a familiar environment first.
The trainING process
The aim of the initial assessment is to see where you and your canine friend are at with your skills. Based on your dog’s previously learned cues and your handling skills, we will recommend a training package (3 or 5 lessons) – some handlers and dogs need more practice, while others need less.
There are 14 different tasks to complete (such as walking on a loose leash, leaving a food item on request, appropriate reaction to another dog, settling on a mat, coming when called).
Each task has to be successfully performed in three different scenarios (e.g. familiar environment, local park, busier area). Your trainer/assessor will tick off the completed tasks during the lessons.
assessment and training fees
- initial assessment (60-90 mins) costs $160 including a customised written plan
- one-on-one lessons cost $285 (3×45 min lessons) or $450 (5×45 min lessons)
- $30 payable separately to Delta Institute to order the certificate and tag
HOW TO APPLY
To book your initial assessment, please fill in the below questionnaire form so we have a better understanding of your dog’s current behaviour and learned cues.