For those enrolled in the mindDog program (psychiatric assistance dogs)
Bea Labady (CPDT MDI) is one of the handful mindDog approved trainers and assessors in Queensland helping pet parents prepare their dogs for the mindDog Public Access Test.
Once you’re accepted to the program, your mindDog assessor will connect you with a mindDog trainer and you have about 12 months to prepare for the Public Access Test.
preparing for the public access test
Training is quite straightforward with clear requirements your dog needs to perform in order to pass the Public Access Test. The 3, 6 and 9 monthly training reports set the guidelines you will work towards with your trainer (see more details here). You will receive ongoing email and phone support between training sessions.
The first lesson takes place in your home or in a local park and usually lasts about 1 hour.
As the primary trainer for your dog, you will need to know how dogs learn and how to teach them using positive reinforcement, so the first lesson includes some theory…
You will receive a personalised and detailed training plan after the initial lesson including homework. After that, we will work out a time that suits for the next visit to start working towards the 3 monthly goals. Follow-up lessons are usually shorter.
The number of lessons will depend on your and your dog’s progress, but usually meeting once a month is ideal.
- initial lesson (approx. 1-1.5 hrs) costs $120 including a detailed written training plan
- subsequent lessons cost $75 (30 min*) or $100 (45 min)
- no travel surcharge in the following suburbs: Auchenflower, Bardon, Brookfield, Chapel Hill, Chelmer, Fig Tree Pocket, Graceville, Indooroopilly, Jindalee, Kenmore, Kenmore Hills, Milton, Mt Ommaney, Paddington, Pinjarra Hills, Pullenvale, Red Hill, Rosalie, Sinnamon Park, St Lucia, Taringa, Tennyson, Toowong
- small extra travel fee outside the above suburbs – please call or email for a quote
- (*) 30 minute sessions available only in the following suburbs: Chapel Hill, Indooroopilly, Kenmore and Kenmore Hills
special prepaid package offers (for minddog clients only)
|3 x 30 min private lessons||$200 ($66/30 min lesson)|
|5 x 30 min private lessons||$300 ($60/30 min lesson)|
|3 x 45 min private lessons||$270 ($90/45 min lesson)|
|5 x 45 min private lessons||$400 ($80/45 min lesson)|
- package must be paid in full prior to first lesson
- local service area lessons only – travel fee applies outside of service area (please email for a quote)
- prepaid packages are valid for 9 months from purchase date
- updated written plan and homework included after each lesson
- free email and phone follow-up between lessons
- lessons cancelled or rescheduled within 24 hours of appointment will be charged/forfeited
get in touch
To book an initial assessment/lesson with Bea, please fill in the below application from. For more information, get in touch: