For those enrolled in the mindDog program (psychiatric assistance dogs)
Once you’re accepted into the program, your assessor will connect you with an approved mindDog trainer and you have about 12 months to prepare for the Public Access Test.
Bea Labady (CPDT MDI) is one of the handful mindDog approved trainers and assessors in Queensland helping pet parents prepare their dogs for the mindDog Public Access Test.
preparing for the public access test
Training is quite straightforward with clear requirements your dog needs to perform in order to pass the Public Access Test. The 3, 6 and 9 monthly training reports (as detailed in your mindDog booklet) set the guidelines of what we’ll work towards (see more details here).
What to expect during your trainee year?
The first lesson takes place in your home or in a local park and usually lasts about 1 hour.
As the primary trainer for your dog, you will need to know how dogs learn and how to teach them using positive reinforcement, so the first lesson includes some theory…
You will receive a personalised and detailed training plan after the initial lesson. After that, we will start working towards the 3, 6, and 9 monthly training goals. Follow-up lessons are usually shorter.
The number of lessons will depend on your and your dog’s progress – some people (and their dogs) need more help, some only need a few lessons to get them ready for the PAT. Meeting once a month is ideal.
- the first lesson is a bit longer (approx. 1-1.5 hrs) to allow time to assess where you’re at with your dog’s training cues and it costs $120 (which includes a detailed written training plan sent after the initial lesson)
- subsequent one-off lessons cost $75 (30 min*) or $100 (45 min) – see below for training packages
- no travel surcharge in the following suburbs: Auchenflower, Bardon, Brookfield, Chapel Hill, Chelmer, Fig Tree Pocket, Graceville, Indooroopilly, Jindalee, Kenmore, Kenmore Hills, Milton, Mt Ommaney, Paddington, Pinjarra Hills, Pullenvale, Red Hill, Rosalie, Sinnamon Park, St Lucia, Taringa, Tennyson, Toowong
- small extra travel fee outside the above suburbs – please email for a quote
- (*) 30 minute sessions available only in the following suburbs: Chapel Hill, Indooroopilly, Kenmore and Kenmore Hills
special prepaid package offers (for minddog clients only)
|3 x 30 min private lessons||$200 ($66/30 min lesson)|
|5 x 30 min private lessons||$300 ($60/30 min lesson)|
|3 x 45 min private lessons||$270 ($90/45 min lesson)|
|5 x 45 min private lessons||$400 ($80/45 min lesson)|
- local service area lessons only – travel fee applies outside of service area (please email for a quote)
- prepaid packages are valid for 9 months from purchase date
- updated written plan and homework included after each lesson
- free email and phone follow-up between lessons
- lessons cancelled or rescheduled within 24 hours of appointment will be charged/forfeited
get in touch
To book a lesson with Bea, please fill in the below application from. For more information, get in touch: